Tell Me More: Overlay Ads
Our Tell Me More series is designed to break down ad formats and products into bitesize chunks. There’s a growing universe of strategies and tactics and it’s our goal to make that universe a little more comprehensible.
We’re going to take a look a popular YouTube ad type, Overlay Ads.
WHAT IS IT?
An overlay ad is a 480×70 image that appears on the bottom 20% of a video. It’s less intrusive than other ad formats since it doesn’t interfere with the user’s ability to watch their video. This ad space can be occupied by an image or text display to make sure your brand grabs your audience’s attention while they’re engaged with their favorite YouTube content.
Overlay ads can also be paired with a 300×250 companion banner, which appears next to YouTube’s video player. A companion banner increases the likelihood that the audience will see your image and click on the ad.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Although anyone can effectively use an overlay ad, it garners the best results for brands that:
- Have a landing page to send viewers to.
- Overlay ads can be attributed with a link and are designed to drive clicks. If your brand just launched a new landing page or you just want to drive more traffic to your website, make sure you attach your link to the overlay ad.
- Want to increase brand awareness and recall.
- Overlay ads pop up in the middle of videos, immediately grabbing the attention of viewers. Make sure your ad design is branded and recognizable so your audience recognizes your company to raise awareness and recall.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The benefits of using overlay ads for your next YouTube campaign are as follows:
- Increase Click-Through-Rate: Overlay ads are perfect for sending viewers to your landing page and boosting CTR. Make sure your overlay ad is equipped with a strong call-to-action to entice your audience to click on the image.
- Companion Banner: Overlay ads can be paired with a companion banner, which appears to the right of the video. The overlay ad and companion banner combine to take up the perimeter of the video, turning your brand into a complimentary part of the content-viewing experience.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Overlay ads work very smoothly. The process starts with a viewer watching a YouTube video. At a certain point of the video, your overlay ad will pop up on the bottom 20% of the video. From there, the viewer has three options:
- Click on your ad.
- Close your ad.
- Let the ad stay where it is for the remainder of the video.
That’s it! If your goal is to get viewers to click on the ad and visit your landing page, then keep the following in mind:
- The ad’s message fits the message of your landing page to limit any confusion when the viewer visits your page.
- The call-to-action copy is strong, enticing the viewer to learn more. It isn’t easy to convince someone to stop watching their video and move on to another website, so it’s important that your copy speaks to your audience.
- Utilize arrows and white space in your overlay ad image to draw the viewer’s eyes to the space you’d like them to click.
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
Yes! Overlay ads perform well if they are strategically placed and avoid being intrusive. Channel Factory has been running YouTube ad campaigns for top brands for 8+ years, making us experts in the industry.
Click here to contact us today if you’d like to learn more about our services.